Just because you are watching what you eat and trying to drop unwanted pounds doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy eating out and socializing with friends and family on occasion. It actually may be getting a little easier to eat out while trying to eat cleaner, as some restaurants are adding special menu items that are lower in fat and salt, low calorie or lower in grain-based carbs.
It’s all about exhibiting some control on what you order and how fast you eat, as well as putting a few things into place before you even leave the house. The following weight loss tips will help you stay on track when you’re out on the town!
Here are my nine weight loss tips for eating healthier when eating out:
- Don’t let your eyes get bigger than your stomach. Drink a couple glasses of water before going out to curb your hunger.
- Educate yourself on the menu prior to going. Pick your meal ahead of time so you’re not letting your hunger do the ordering at the table.
- Steer clear of sugary or alcoholic drinks. Stick to clean water and/or unsweetened tea. If you must– opt for a small glass of red wine which is high in antioxidants.
- Avoid appetizers. Many times appetizers are so filling and loaded in fat and calories, making you go over your calories for your meal without even getting to the main course yet. If you absolutely must have an appetizer, choose a salad with an oil and vinegar based dressing. Stay clear of the high fat and high calorie cream-based dressings.
- Get a dish based on lean meat. Avoid having meats fried in oil or butter and ask to get it grilled, which will remove excess fat. Good meats to look for would be chicken, fish, lean red meat (e.g. sirloin steak), turkey, venison, lean pork chops, and quail.
- Try to avoid eating breads, and opt for more vegetables (the greener the better). Vegetables will make you feel fuller due to their high water content, plus they are loaded with more vitamins and minerals. Keep clear of fried vegetables.
- Instead of french fries or chips, order a salad or steamed veggies.
- If you must have a dessert opt for a coffee with one scoop of ice cream, or share a dessert with your partner or friend.
Employing some of these tips will help you stay within the realms of healthy eating while you’re out at a restaurant.
The main thing to remember when eating out is to drink plenty of water, have fun, and talk a lot which can stop your focus on eating (plus it keeps your portions under control!). You don’t have to miss out just because you’re trying to eat healthier. Just be smart!
Committed to your success,
For more articles go to http://lifesportfitness.lifestyleezine.com