The holiday season has come and gone. Many San Jose residents have “Shedding Holiday Weight” as a top priority on their to-do lists now. It’s time to work on losing those extra pounds gained from all the parties, holiday treats and family gatherings. With the abundance of rich foods at holiday time, it is no wonder that so many people suffer from holiday weight gain (yep, even your friendly San Jose boot camp coach can fall victim to holiday treats!).
The extra pounds you may have packed on during the holidays can make the prospect of losing weight seem like an overwhelming task. The good news is that by taking the time to plan out a post-holiday strategy that will work for you, shedding holiday weight won’t be as difficult as you think.
Post Holiday Weight Loss Tips
- Set a goal. What would you like to achieve in the next 6 weeks? Is is attainable? Measurable? Get your goals down on paper and post them where you’ll see them every day.
- Put together a routine. Get yourself back into the habit of regular exercise. Write out a schedule of when you’ll exercise and stick to it. Grab a workout buddy if you need more accountability.
- Eat breakfast! Having a good breakfast with protein and produce (think scrambled eggs and spinach) is important in order to set yourself up to feel full and energized for your day. Ditch the sugary cereals and flour-based bread products. Stick with protein and produce as your first meal of the day.
- Eat often. Make your meals a little smaller, and eat 4-6 times per day. This will keep you energized and feeling full, and it will also keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day.
- Limit alcohol and other calorie filled, non-nutritive beverages. Now, don’t shoot the messenger, and please note that I didn’t say eliminate. Simply limit them ;-).
- Get outside! We’re fortunate to live in an area with wonderful weather pretty much year-round. On the weekends, soak up a little sun and vitamin D with a walk, a hike or sprints around your local high school track. A little sunshine and fresh air will do your mood good.
If you’d like our professional fitness boot camp coaches to be your accountability partner, please give us a call at 408-265-1540 or click below to request a one-week free trial at a lifeSport Fitness boot camp in San Jose Campbell or Los Gatos: