Some people might read the title of my blog post here and wonder how snacking in between meals can be a good thing if you’re trying to lose weight. Can healthy snacks between meals really help you LOSE weight?
I say……..YES! Here’s why: Eating a small, healthy snack may help you eat LESS at meal time. And, it may also eliminate blood sugar peaks and valleys that can trigger binge eating. Overeating at meal time and binge-eating are common causes of weight gain. The key to snacking in between meals is to snack smart!
3 Healthy Snack Tips
1- Make sure the healthy snack contains a source of protein. Eating a little protein will help you feel more full.
2- Eat a snack low in sugar. This will prevent a spike in blood sugar and subsequent crash in blood sugar later on.
3- Keep the snack small: 150-200 calories for women, 200-300 calories for men.
I like to see a mix of protein and carbohydrate in snacks, and perhaps a little healthy fat. Healthy snacks should hold you over to the next meal, raise your metabolic rate a little bit (digestion requires calories!), and keep you from having large swings in blood sugar. Studies show that metabolism affects weight loss as it affects how you burn calories.
Here are my suggestions for healthy snacks:
- Apples slices with almond butter
- String cheese and almonds
- Mini carrots and hummus
- Greek yogurt with fresh fruit
- Prograde Protein shaken with ice and non-fat almond milk
- “Ants on a log” (Celery sticks filled with a little natural peanut butter and dotted with a couple of raisins)
- Prograde Craver (careful! These healthy snack bars are addictive!!!)
- Cashews and dried cranberries
- Lara Bar
- Tomato and low-fat mozzarella slices drizzled with balsamic vinegar
If you’re trying to lose weight, make sure you have healthy snacks on hand at home, at work and in the car. If you find yourself hungry without something healthy to eat, you ‘re MUCH more likely to make a poor choice.
Set yourself up for weight loss success by planning ahead and snacking smart!
Do you have a favorite healthy snack not listed here? Please share your favorite snack ideas in the comment section!